How to clean my silver?
The best way to clean your sterling silver is by using a polishing cloth. Never use silver polish liquids or gels as these can ruin the quality of your silver. Use the white inner cloth to gently remove tarnish and dirt from your gold, silver, and platinum pieces. Buff to a high luster using the outer blue cloth.
Store your polishing cloth in a plastic bag and never wash it. These cloths can last for years depending on how often they are used. Replace your polishing cloth when it's completely black.
How to prevent my silver from tarnishing?
Tarnish is the result of a chemical reaction with the sulfur in the air. Left alone long enough, even silver stored in places with very little air flow will eventually tarnish. The look of a tarnish is often described as a "film" ranging from soft yellow-gold to black.
To prevent your silver jewelry from tarnishing, we encourage to wear your pieces often as frequent use reduces the chances of tarnish.
How to store my silver jewelry?
The best way to store your silver jewelry is in plastic bags with an anti-tarnish strip. Anti-tarnish strips neutralize sulfuric gasses and can keep your silver nice and shiny. If you choose to store your jewelry in wooden or glass boxes, we encourage you to invest in anti-tarnish strips as the likely hood for pieces to tarnish is higher when they are not sealed away in air-tight containers.
Why does my skin turn green or black when I wear silver?
Sterling silver is 92.5% silver with the other 7.5% of the metals generally consisting of copper. 100% silver would be far too soft to craft jewelry out of, let alone wear, which is why copper or other metals is alloyed with the silver. For some people, the addition of copper in the silver can turn people's skin green or black. If this happens to, don't worry! It's not harmful in any way and if you remove the jewelry, your skin will return to normal in a few days.
Not everyone reacts to silver jewelry in this way and some people are much more sensitive to it than others. A simple fix is to paint a light coating of clear nail polish over the parts of the jewelry that touch your skin. Another option is to not wear the pieces for long periods of time without taking breaks. Finally, keep in mind that this reaction is not harmful and most likely the jewelry covers up the part of your skin that's turning color, so stay calm and continue to wear your favorite silver pieces!